Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Power of Social

Disclaimer:  This is not a movie review of The Social Network.  Although I've just watched it, its more entertaining and insightful to read Jeff Jarvis' take on the film (after listening to this week's episode of This Week In Google).

We had our weekly family lunch last Saturday on a restaurant where we always order that same 'ol fried chicken dish (it's Taiwanese fried chicken, not KFC).  I checked in with Foursquare (as I always do) and read what people were talking about the place.  Care for suggestions?  Yes, I've found an entry talking about this spicy beef noodle soup (紅燒牛肉麵).  Turned out my wife had ordered it before I've even asked.  As a foodie herself, she regularly visits this famous local food blog.  After trying the noodle soup, I should say it's good and was glad that she ended up having me finish it.  If I haven't checked the Foursquare recommendation, I wouldn't even dare try it (no, not to that effect though -- I like food and all but emotions would not be amplified to this level).  If it wasn't for the blog post, my wife would not even have ordered it.


There is more to social than rekindling friendship, photos and Farmville.  Those are just the candy coated layer luring you to get in and be zucked into the network.  The core is their ability to shape choices based on recommendations from friends and tastemakers.  I'm not only talking about Facebook, but the whole social web in general.  It doesn't matter which network you belong to, this will alter your choices in life.  A product can make or break with a word of mouth on an entirely different level.  Influences will no longer be limited within your circle of friends, but will be interconnected depending on which network(s) you belong to.  We as individuals can be exploited as easily as a push of a button.  What is your take?

No comments: